Friday, April 20, 2012

Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, AFL-CIO, United Master Executive Council,

[ web capture Sept. 29, 2004]

Special Message from MEC President Greg Davidowitch

Services and Gatherings | EAP Information | Coping with September 11
Return to MEC Website Home Page

CeeCee Lyles

Deborah Welsh

Robert Fangman

Alfred Marchand

Alicia Titus

Wanda Green

Sandra Bradshaw

Amy Jarret

Lorraine Bay

Kathryn LaBorie

Michael Tarrou
and Amy King

Thoughts from 9/11/2001 >>

Other Tributes:
AFA International Memoriam
American, United Poem
MEC President Message
Eulogy read by Linda Farrow on 9/19/2001

Our Heroes:

Captain: Jason Dahl
First Officer: Leroy Homer
Flight Attendant: Wanda A. Green
Flight Attendant: Lorraine G. Bay
Flight Attendant: CeeCee Lyles
Flight Attendant: Sandra Bradshaw
Flight Attendant: Deborah A. Welsh

Captain: Victor Saracini
First Officer: Michael Horrocks
Flight Attendant: Kathryn LaBorie
Flight Attendant: Robert J. Fangman
Flight Attendant: Alfred G. Marchand
Flight Attendant: Amy N. Jarret
Flight Attendant: Michael C. Tarrou
Flight Attendant: Amy R. King
Flight Attendant: Alicia N. Titus

Also on UA #175:
Customer Service Representatives:
Marianne MacFarlane
Jesus Sanchez

Wanda A. Green

Whether she was listening to neighbors at their front gates in Linden, befriending the families she helped to find homes as a real estate agent, or comforting children during rough landings as a part-time United Airlines flight attendant, Wanda Anita Green delighted in helping others.

Green, 49, was an earnest listener who never judged, said her longtime friend and fellow flight attendant Sugar Manley.

"She would stay up all night with you, she just cared for your soul, your spirit," said Manley.

As a deacon at Linden Presbyterian Church, Mrs. Green visited people in local hospitals, and volunteered her time for church activities, said her daughter, Jennifer Green.

Mrs. Green adored dancing the cha-cha and the slide, said Manley, but she wouldn't buy herself new dancing shoes unless her children each had two pair.

"Oh, she would sacrifice it all for her children," said Manley. "Her shoes might have had a slight hole in them, but she wouldn't do for herself. Her kids came first."

Mrs. Green, who worked as a United Airlines flight attendant for 29 years and was getting ready to retire, was aboard the hijacked United Flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco when it crashed in rural Pennsylvania on Tuesday. Mrs. Green had planned to visit her mother in Oakland, Calif.

"Wherever she went, she made a friend, she really cared about people," said Jennifer Green.

Mrs. Green grew up in Oakland and married and lived for several years in Rockland County, N.Y., before settling in Linden.

After she earned a real estate license in 1996, Mrs. Green flew less frequently, and she worked as an office manager and agent at NorthStar Realty in South Orange.

In addition to Jennifer, Mrs. Green is survived by a son, Joe; her former husband, Joe Green of Stamford, Conn.; her parents, Francis and Aserene Smith of Oakland; sister and brother-in-law Sandra and Aristeed Jamerson of Antioch, Calif.; brother and sister-in-law Tommy and Tammy Smith of Fairfield, Calif.; nieces Arion Jamerson of Antioch, Calif., and Portia Smith of Fairfield, Calif.; nephew Frank Jamerson of Antioch, Calif.; and father-in-law Joe Green of Queens, N.Y.

Lorraine G. Bay

Although she had no children of her own, Lorraine Bay watched over her brood of fellow United Airlines flight attendants like a mother.

A 37-year United veteran, she had chosen Flight 93 over another flight because it was nonstop.

She badgered her co-workers about getting their medical check-ups, bought clothes for people and even sent attractive hats to friends who were undergoing chemotherapy.

No event was too small to escape her notice. She lavished Gummi Bears on the son of a colleague, and was known for taking her camera to gatherings and printing multiple copies of the pictures to pass around.

Bay also routinely sent an avalanche of greeting cards for all occasions. Two ill colleagues received cards after her death that were postmarked Sept. 11, indicating that she had probably dropped them in the mail that morning from the airport.

"There wasn't a kinder, more considerate person on the face of the earth," fellow flight attendant Patricia Morris said. "I don't know what Hallmark is going to do. They're going to go bankrupt."

With 37 years on the job, Bay was fourth in seniority out of the roughly 700 flight attendants who work for United out of Newark, N.J.

Born across the state line in Bucks County, Pa., she joined the airline when being a flight attendant still carried a certain cachet. Based in San Francisco for her first three years on the job, she headed east and was then based at Newark for the rest of her career.

Priding herself on her appearance, Bay would get up in the middle of the night for a 7 a.m. flight to make herself up just so. She would let her husband of 22 years, Erich, sleep in their East Windsor, N.J. home while she drove herself to work.

Bay loved to fly and took pains to put passengers at ease.

"She was like everyone's favorite aunt who came to visit, brought you a present, talked to you, spent time with you," said Mary Bush, who by merit of her position as the most senior United flight attendant at Newark had known Bay for more than 30 years. "She was that way to passengers, too."

Altering herself like a chameleon changes colors, Bay would match her personality to connect with children, senior citizens and everyone in between who came under her ministrations during a trip.

"Work," Bush said, "was a love affair for her."

CeeCee Lyles

CeeCee Lyles, 33, of Fort Myers, Fla., was a United Airlines flight attendant who perished on Flight 93, leaves behind a husband, Lorne, 31, and four children. Friends say Lyles was very likable, loved talking and enjoyed people.

CeeCee Lyles phoned her husband in the last moments of her life to say goodbye. "She called him and let him know how much she loved him and the boys," said her aunt, Mareya Schneider.

The flight attendant's husband, Lorne Lyles, 31, is a police officer in Fort Myers, Fla. It was the second marriage for both; together, they had four children.

The Lyles previously lived in Fort Pierce, Fla., where both worked for the Fort Pierce Police Department, said Jessica Williams, who knows the family.

CeeCee Lyles, 33, had two sons, 6 and 16, who would play basketball with Williams' son. "She was a very likable person, real easy to get along with," Williams said. "She loved talking. She just enjoyed people."

Sandra W. Bradshaw

Sandra W. Bradshaw, 38, of Greensboro was taken from us on Sept. 11, 2001. Sandy was a flight attendant on United Airlines Flight 93.

Family and friends will remember Sandy for her warmth, grace, bubbly enthusiasm and her radiant smile. All who knew her would say that her smile alone could calm you, cheer you, or comfort you. With that smile always on her face, her strong concern and loving heart were evident to those fortunate enough to meet her. This smile is what would capture Phil's heart and fill him with her love forever.

Sandy always let her husband, children and family know they were the most important. She was a beautiful person and dedicated mother with strong moral and religious qualities, which she has instilled in her two young children. Our hearts pour out for them since they will be deprived the chance to grow with her and experience the things that made her so special.

Sandy is survived by her husband, Phil, their daughter, Alexandria, and son, Nathan of the home; her step-daughter, Shenan Bradshaw of Concord; her parents, John and Pat Waugh; her sisters, Tracy Peele, Deborah Rash and Sharon Swaim; and her brother, Rod Waugh of Climax.

Deborah A. Welsh

NEW YORK (AP) -- Deborah Jacobs Welsh loved being a flight attendant. So much so that she hung in to the end with Eastern and Kiwi Airlines.

Then, nearly five years ago, she was hired by United Airlines and based at Newark International Airport.

Patrick Welsh, who lived with Deborah on Manhattan's West Side, knows his wife was terrified when the hijackers commandeered Flight 93. "Like anybody would be," he said.

"I know in that horrible takeover, she stepped up. The flag was on the ground and she picked it up and so did the others on the plane," he said.

Authorities believe passengers may have attempted to wrest control of the aircraft from the hijackers. Had it not crashed in Pennsylvania, Flight 93 might well have been steered into a Washington landmark, like jetliners that were crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Patrick Welsh said his wife wasn't shy about expressing herself, and would say "what the terrorists thought was a triumphant battle cry from Allah was actually a pathetic whimper of cowardice.''

``She wouldn't want a knee-jerk reaction or vigilantism, and I know she would want that expressed," he said.

The couple had spent the evening before the fatal flight at a New York comedy club. ``We loved to laugh,'' he said.

And laughter, it seems, will become Deborah Welsh's legacy.

"When she walked into a room, the party started," said Coral Mary Southam, a friend from Los Angeles.

He said she'd want people "to get back to going to movies, to buying hot dogs or a CD."

"But in the big picture, she'd want us to make sure the planes keep going. She loved this industry."

Kathryn LaBorie

By the time United Airlines called, Gene and Flo Yancey of Colorado Springs already knew in their hearts that their only daughter was dead.

Kathryn LaBorie, 42, a flight attendant based out of Boston, worked only two routes: to Los Angeles and to San Francisco.

LaBorie's parents had the television on when it happened.

"I tried to call on her cellphone. It was just silence," her father, Gene Yancey, said Monday. "United called us fairly soon that day, 9:55 a.m. our time, but we knew."

Those who knew LaBorie, a 1975 graduate of Mitchell High School in Colorado Springs, used nearly identical words to describe her.

"She was a vivacious young lady," said Adams County Commissioner Ted Strickland, who met her in 1986 when she worked on his gubernatorial campaign.

"She was just charming and vivacious and a lot of fun," said JoAnn Groff, president of the Colorado Retail Council.

Survivors include her husband of two years, Eric, her parents and two brothers, Mark and Kevin.

"The theme is a celebration of Kathy's life," Yancey said. "We're going to make it as uplifting as possible."

Yancey, a retired Air Force officer, was stationed in Albuquerque when his daughter was born on March 14, 1957, a day after his wife celebrated her 22nd birthday.

"We always celebrated their birthdays together," Yancey said.

LaBorie was raised in Colorado Springs. After high school she attended the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. She later won a scholarship to the University of Denver.

LaBorie first joined Strickland's campaign as a volunteer, but later became a paid staffer, he said. It was during that time that she met Bill Schultz, the then-director of the retail council. The couple married and later divorced.

"A lot of people in Denver knew her through Bill," Groff said. "I just can't describe how much fun she was."

Strickland said that while flying to campaign stops, Laborie became friendly with the staff at Front Range Airport and went to work there.

LaBorie had worked for United Airlines for nearly seven years.

"She loved to fly," her father said. "There are no words to describe how we feel."

Michael Tarrou

Michael Tarrou, 38, and Amy King, 29, Stafford Springs, CT

Tarrou and King worked as flight attendants for United Airlines and were on Flight 175 when it crashed into the south tower of the World Trade Center.

Tarrou grew up in Wantagh, N.Y., and King grew up in Jamestown, N.Y. Both moved to Stafford Springs where they met as flight attendants.

He is survived by an 11-year-old daughter, Gina, from a previous marriage. Family members said he had a good relationship with his ex-wife, Jill, who recently moved to Florida with their daughter. "He never intentionally hurt anyone," said his mother, Patricia Tarrou of Clearwater, Fla.

Tarrou and King had hoped to move to Florida to be near his family.

"There is no doubt that both Mac and Amy would have done absolutely everything in their power to calm and protect the passengers and crew, and would have given their lives to prevent such a disaster," Tom Lumia, Tarrou's brother-in-law, said. "They both were two of the most compassionate, peaceful, giving and understanding people on the earth, and they will be greatly missed. We will love them forever."

Alicia N. Titus

Alicia Titus, 28, was born June 11, 1973 in Springfield, Oh. to John and Bev (Delaney) Titus of Dexter, Mich.

Alicia was greatly loved by family and friends. She enjoyed travel and experiencing world cultures. She loved life to the fullest and strived to make a difference in the world. Alicia embodied the spirit of peace and good will throughout her life. Alicia will be sadly missed by family and friends.

She is survived by her parents; sister, Shanoa Titus and her fiancee', Jay Poston; nephew, Logan, all of Tipp City, Oh.; brother and sister-in-law, Zachery and Lana (Runkle) Titus of Helena, Mont.; brother, Elijah Titus, living at home; paternal grandparents, Glenno and Olivia Titus of Rushsylvania, Oh.; maternal grandmother, Elizabeth (Ann) Delaney of Urbana, Oh.; aunts and uncles, Jodi and George Lewis, Jana and Bob Walker, Bob and Robin Titus, Rick and Kris Titus, Steve and Cindy Titus, Brenda and Terrance Johnson, Patricia and Robert Fink, Nancy and Jim Birt; very special boyfriend, Greg Ernst; and many cousins and friends

She was mourned at a memorial service in Urbana, Ohio. Her father, John Titus, read a poem he wrote, describing his daughter's greatest gifts as "peace, love, joy and life."

He said he had no doubt "Alicia died while trying to do good in the midst of evil."

Amy N. Jarret

Aram Jarret loved everything about his daughter Amy's career as a flight attendant.

"She was the consummate professional," the 58-year-old North Smithfield, R.I. attorney said yesterday of his 28-year-old daughter, the third of his four children.

"She was smart, professional, very helpful, and she had no hesitation about putting someone in their place."

After the horror of the news that Amy was a flight attendant on United Airlines Flight 175 settled in, Aram Jarret also formed an image of what might have happened as terrorists seized control of the flight.

"If there's a crisis, then she would always be one of those people you'd want with you," he said. "I don't know what happened up there, but she would have been one of those people trying to do the right thing.

"But what strikes me is just how senseless this whole thing is, and it's tragic that innocent people get caught in this," said Jarret. "She had no chance."

Alfred G. Marchand

Alfred Marchand, 44,a highly decorated officer who received a number of commendations before retiring in March, became a flight attendant with United Airlines this year. Friends said he loved travel, flying and meeting people.

Fellow church members remembered him as a devout Christian who would pick up children on Wednesdays, when he was not working, and drive them to church. They recalled a man who would drive donations to an orphanage in Ciudad Juárez every three months. A neighbor, Jason Hayes, said that Alfred Marchand once worked Hayes' shift at a local restaurant when Hayes' wife went into labor with their daughter.Pastor Brian Hurst said Marchand once told a man who had been arrested that the man needed to bring Jesus Christ into his life.

"He was a man of faith — he took it to work," Hayes said. "He was the most down-to-earth, nonjudgmental person I've ever known. He'd talk to you like a human being."

Robert J. Fangman

Ruth Fangman spoke to her son Robert for the final time on Saturday.
Robert, a United Airlines flight attendant, had telephoned his mother at her Claymont home from Texas, where he was visiting his oldest brother, Marty, and other relatives.

"Bobby said he might come home to visit on Sunday," Ruth Fangman said Thursday from her tidy brick row house off Philadelphia Pike. "But he stayed in Texas an extra day and never made it. Now I'll never see him again."

So instead of anticipating the next visit from her son, Ruth Fangman has spent the last two days learning of his death, exchanging teary embraces with her other six children, accepting condolences from friends, and making plans for a memorial celebration in Bobby's honor.

"He was my baby," Fangman said, fighting back the tears. "It hasn't really even sunk in yet."

Ruth Fangman, a widow who had four sons and three daughters, spent an hour early Thursday at her kitchen table reminiscing about her youngest child with daughter Terri, who rushed up from her Virginia home after hearing Bobby was on the doomed flight.

They spoke of his love of wine, gourmet food, big cities and international travel. They said he brightened many family gatherings with tales of his European journeys or by bursting into song, a cappella.

"He had a such a beautiful voice," said Terri, 43, who was in Texas last weekend with her brothers.

The women said Bobby, a Claymont High School graduate who had sold cellular telephones for about four years, had found his calling as a flight attendant.

He had met some attendants on a flight to Paris last year, became enamored with the lifestyle and decided to apply for a job with United. He was assigned to Boston in January.

Bobby's happiest days were the last eight months, as he hop-scotched around the country and the globe, often taking last-second assignments to Europe, they said.

"But now he's gone," Ruth said. "Words can't express how I feel. There's just a big hole in my heart."

This website has been created to pay tribute to Michael Horrocks, loving husband, dedicated father, an inspiration to everyone who knew him.

We invite anyone who has a favorite story, photo or memory of Michael to share them with us. These stories and memories will be a source of inspiration to family and friends as we celebrate Michael's life and the love that he shared with everyone he touched.

Michael is our hero, not only for his courage in the air, but in the way he touched our lives so deeply. We'd like to thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers.

The Horrocks Family

Eulogy presented at Memorial Service
Cleared to Land - Song written by Dave Steven
Song for Michael: by Charles E. Starnater
Hershey High School
West Chester University
Marine Corps Days
Long Beach Island
United Airlines
Friends & Family

If you would like to contribute a story about or a photo of Michael, please click on the following email link and send us an email. We will post them to this site as soon as possible. Thanks you for your contribution and support.
Email us at:

We would like to reserve this site for Michael stories and photos. Messages of condolence or prayer will be forwarded to the family but will not be posted on this site. Thank you for your understanding. If you would like information about the trust fund set up for Michael's children, click here.

If you need help sending photos - send us an email with your phone number and we will gladly help you out.

Comments for website manager:

Captain: Victor Saracini

Page cannot be crawled or displayed due to robots.txt.

No comments: