Sunday, July 8, 2012

George Sleigh, 91st Floor, North Tower Survivor.

September 18, 1991, Real Estate Weekly, Full floor leased at 2 World Trade,

The 129-year-old American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) has selected New York City and Two World Trade Center as the location for its world headquarters, in a move negotiated by Abrams Benisch Riker, Inc.

The ABS move involves the long-term sublease of the 106th floor -- one of the world's highest offices -- from Shearson Lehman Brothers. ABS will move approximately 140 employees to New York.

The 50,000-square-foot deal was arranged on behalf of the American Bureau of Shipping by two member brokerage firms of the Colliers International Property Consultants network -- Abrams Benisch Riker, Inc. in New York City and David T. Houston Company in New Jersey, Cushman & Wakefield, Inc. represented Shearson.

According to Jim Millard of Abrams Benisch Riker, Inc., the decision by the American Bureau of Shipping to relocate to New York was based in part on the desire to "attain a higher profile, one befitting the role that ABS plays in setting standards for the shipbuilding industry. What better way to accomplish this than for the firm to move to the 106th floor of the World Trade Center, which offers a sweeping vista of New York Harbor, one of the world's great shipping centers."

This transaction is the second time in two years that Abrams Benisch Riker, Inc. has been instrumental in a corporate relocation to New York. The other relocation involved RJR Nabisco, which moved to Midtown Manhattan from Atlanta.

The American Bureau of Shipping, employing 1,477, is an international organization operating in 86 ports on six continents.

A not-for-profit technical organization, ABS is the major group which establishes and administers standards for the design, construction, and periodic survey of ships and other marine structures. It performs annual audits to ensure that the seaworthiness of major vessels is maintained. The Bureau presently classifies more than 12,000 vessels totalling over 91 million gross tons.

Abrams Benisch Riker, Inc. is the exclusive owner/member for the Colliers International global network in the New York City/Westchester/Fairfield County area.

December 27, 1992, The Record (Bergen County, NJ) Drug Giant Coming To Paramus, by Hal Porter, Record Staff Writer

Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. has signed an $8 million five-year lease for 45 Eisenhower Drive in Paramus. Administrative offices of the company's Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division will relocate from their quarters in Clifton into the newly renamed Hoffmann-La Roche Building at the Paramus site.

The 168,000-square-foot structure had been occupied by the American Bureau of Shipping, which moved to New York. Hoffmann-La Roche is leasing 80,000 square feet. The Edward S. Gordan Co. of Saddle Brookrepresented Hoffmann-La Roche in the transaction.

September 14, 2001, CNN News, Survivor saw inside hijacked jet

LONDON, England--A British-born architect who survived Tuesday's attack on the World Trade Center watched in horror from his 91st-floor office as a hijacked jet smashed into the building.
George Sleigh, 63, originally of Gateshead, England, told the Newscastle Evening Chronicle he was close enough to the point of the initial impact to see people in the cockpit of the hijacked American Airlines Boeing 767.

"When I close my eyes and picture that airline coming towards me and the people in the cockpit it is like a dream," Sleigh said.

Aftering hearing the whining engine of the jet, "I looked up out of the window and just a few feet away from the building was this huge jet plane," he said.

"The wheels were down and I could see the people in the cockpit. I thought to myself, 'Man this guy is low in the air,' but I still thought it would clear us. But then it smashed into the tower a few floors above me.

"I couldn't believe it, even now it seems insane that anyone would do that, even a crazed terrorist."

After the jet hit the north tower, Sleigh -- who worked for the American Bureau of Shipping at the WTC -- hid under his desk from debris raining down before fleeing down a fire escape to safety.

Sleigh said the stairwells became increasingly congested as hundreds of office workers fled, some of them badly burned. After 30 minutes he reached the 25th floor, where he saw the first firefighters going up the stairs to tackle the flames.

"Their faces were grim as though they knew what they would be encountering when they got there," he said. "When I saw afterwards how the towers fell I knew those men wouldn't have made it. It was heartbreaking."

October, 2001, Marine Digest, Escape from the 91st Floor (9/11), By Alison Bate

American Bureau of Shipping staffer Claire McIntyre describes her dramatic flight to safety from the World Trade Center. By Alison Bate,

Office manager Claire McIntyre was checking her e-mail when she first heard the plane.

Her office was on the 91st floor of one of the two massive World Trade Center towers, looking out toward Upper Manhattan.

"I was working at my computer and first heard this horrendous roar of a jet engine," she recalled.

"I thought it couldn’t possibly be here this close. Then I saw the wing and tail of a plane."

She jumped up immediately, screaming, and ran out her office to alert the rest of the staff.

Her office was in the northwest corner of the building, and she didn’t know if anybody else had seen the plane.

"I thought: 'Oh my God, all my people'. I ran out into the hallway and just screamed: 'Everyone, get out now.'

It was around 8:45 a.m., Tuesday Sept. 11, and American Airlines Flight 11 had just slammed into the building a few storeys above her head. All 92 people on board died when the hijacked Boeing 767 plane hit the building.

Claire had no idea at the time that this was a terrorist attack. "I thought it was an accident," she said.

In the reception area, they quickly discovered that all 11 ABS staff working that day were present. Electricians working in their office also joined them.

One of the staff members got hold of some paper towels and began wetting them in case they ran into smoke. Claire even had the presence of mind to grab her pocketbook and a flashlight.

She wasn't in the building the day terrorist bombers struck the World Trade Center in 1993, killing six people and injuring more than 1,000 others. But she'd heard about the chaos and darkness that followed that attack.

The colleagues then began their long escape down 91 floors of one of the world’s tallest buildings.

"The first two flights were dark, with no emergency lights, and water was pouring down the stairs," said Claire. "We could barely see and I put my flashlight on. Then the emergency lights came on, and water was still flowing down."

Fellow office worker Emma "Georgia" Barnett slipped and slid down three flights of stairs. She got up but then tripped over a hose, damaging her knee. She carried on, nevertheless.

When the ABS staff started out, the fire exits weren't too crowded, but they became clogged with people as they descended. There was no panic though.

Colleague Steve McIntyre (no relation) checked other stairwells at intervals to see if there was a quicker way out.

Several of them crossed over to another stairwell that was moving faster and worked their way down floor by floor.

"In the 60s I was thinking: 'How much more to go?'" said Claire. "I remember getting to 22 and saying: 'Oh my God, we're almost there.'"

They emerged from the stairwell at the mezzanine level, and were greeted by emergency services people, who were rushing everybody out.

Then came the worst part. Claire choked as she recalled the moment. "As we passed the Plaza, I got to see bodies and body parts." Some desperate workers still trapped inside had thrown themselves out of windows to escape the blazes.

Claire met up again with Georgia, and they finally reached the street, exiting on the east side of the complex.


But their ordeal still wasn't over. Claire was helping Georgia toward an ambulance when the neighboring south tower started to collapse.

Shortly after 9 a.m., as smoke still poured from the north tower, a second hijacked plane had slammed into the south tower, sending up a huge fireball. All 65 people on board died when United Airlines flight 175, also a Boeing 767, hit the tower.

As it began collapsing around 10 a.m., Claire, Georgia and Steve started to run up the block.

"We thought: 'We made it down 91 flights of stairs and now we are going to die,'" said Claire.

Just as they realized they were safe from debris, a huge cloud of dust came at them, reaching them halfway up the block. "We were in total blackness and couldn't breathe at all."

Claire and Georgia held on together, feeling their way up the street, and pulling their shirts over their faces for protection.

Gradually the dust cloud lessened, and they ran into the Chase Bank, next to the Millennium Hilton Hotel. They stayed for about 15 minutes until the air cleared enough to go outside.

As they walked toward Broadway, their faces covered with dust, they met a TV crew and gave a phone interview about their escape.

Claire also called her sister and ABS office headquarters in Houston, Texas to let everyone know they were safe. "It was very emotional, of course," she said.

ABS has held offices in the World Trade Center for about 10 years, but downsized when the corporate headquarters moved to Texas two years ago. The New York office normally staffs 22 people, but only 11 employees were actually in the office that day. Miraculously, all escaped.

Georgia was now also able to get some medical attention for her injured knee.


Throughout the ordeal, Claire feared for the safety of her fiance, Danny Franco, an elevator mechanic working in the south tower. "We both thought each other was dead," she recalled.

Cell phones weren't working well, and it was 11:30 a.m. before Claire could leave a message for him. It was another hour before they learned each other was safe.

She heard Danny was having coffee on the 44th floor of the south tower when the first plane hit her building. He saw a fireball come out of the building, and had made it to the lobby when the second plane hit his building – just 20 minutes later.

Later that day, Claire went to her brother's house on Long Island. The roads were closed so she stayed there overnight.

It was Wednesday evening before she got to go home to Union Township, New Jersey and to meet Danny again.

Since then, Claire’s been crying a lot. "I feel up and down, but I am fine," she said.

Claire and Danny also have practical matters to deal with. Both lost their cars, which were parked at the World Trade Center, and are dealing with insurance issues.

"We're trying to get our life back in order.," she added.

© Marine Digest, October 2001

A similar story ran in Lloyd’s List

December 20, 2001, USA Today, For many on Sept. 11, survival was no accident, by Dennis Cauchon,

NEW YORK — George Sleigh, a British-born naval architect, was on the phone in his 91st floor office when he heard the roar of jet engines. Looking out his window, he had time to think just three things: The wheels are up, the underbelly is white, and "man, that guy is low." An American Airlines Boeing 767 was hurtling toward him at 500 mph, loaded with 92 people and 15,000 gallons of jet fuel. The jet exploded into the 93rd through 98th floors of the World Trade Center's north tower with a force equal to 480,000 pounds of TNT. It was 8:46 a.m. on Sept. 11.

On the 91st floor in the north tower, the story was different.

At the American Bureau of Shipping, George Sleigh and his co-workers counted heads after the crash: 11 of the 22 employees were in the office. All were unhurt. Other than Sleigh's area, the office was remarkably intact. Sleigh went back for his briefcase.

The closest stairway was blocked. The second was open. The status of the third was unknown. "It was quiet and peaceful at first" in the stairwell as the employees made their way out, Sleigh recalls. "Nobody was behind us."

A few minutes later, Sleigh's office was engulfed in flames. Fifty minutes after the crash, Sleigh was out of the building.

Bruised, bloodied, covered in dust, separated from his colleagues, he was loaded into an ambulance. A police officer shouted: "Get out! Get out! The building is coming down!"

The south tower was collapsing. It was 9:59 a.m. The north tower's highest survivor was on his way to Beth Israel Hospital.

"Sometimes, I think it was God's providence that spared me," Sleigh said. "Other times, I wonder why me and not others. I realize I am a very fortunate man."

May 20, 2009, Real Estate Weekly, WTC firm's NYC return. (W and H Properties)

ABS, a global shipping classification society, has leased the entire 42nd floor of nearly 13,000 s/f at W&H Properties' 60 East 42nd Street, announces Fred C. Posniak, senior vice president of W&H Properties.

ABS relocated to the property from Paramus, New Jersey, where it was based after 9/11. Previously, the firm was on the 91st floor of the WTC's North Tower.

Robin Fisher and Frank Recine of Newmark Knight Frank represented ABS. The landlord's representatives were Billy Cohen, Ryan Kass and Jonathan Fanuzzi, also of Newmark Knight Frank.

Photographer: WEWS

August 30, 2011, WCPO /, Surviving 9/11 from the 91st floor of the North WTC Tower, Church member mixes tales of faith and survival, by Tom Livingston,

CHAGRIN FALLS, Ohio - George Sleigh is a man who has survived not one but two attacks on the World Trade Center.

On September 11, 2001, Sleigh and eleven co-workers were in the only occupied office on the 91st floor of the North Tower. He noticed a low flying plane passing the Empire State Building and headed his way. That plane would hit just a few floors above his office.

Eight years earlier, Sleigh was in his office on the 101st floor when it was attacked with a truck bomb. He and his co-workers would go up to the observation deck before climbing down 106 stories to safety.

The auditorium at the Parkside Church on Pettibone Road in Chagrin Falls was packed with an audience enthralled with his story.

He recalled checking on his co-workers after the plane hit and then looking at his surroundings.

“As I looked around my office, everything was still intact and the windows were not broken,” he said. “There was no smoke, no fire, no sense of anything really bad happening at that particular point. Not dreaming that those buildings would eventually collapse, but we knew we needed to get out of there as quickly as we could.”

In a light moment, Sleigh told of a co-worker doing things out of habit as they prepared to flee the office. After finding the exit they would take, the co-worker went back to his desk to turn off the lights but realized something else.

“His computer was still on, so you don’t just turn your computer off you have to log off,” said Sleigh as the audience erupted in laughter.

They wound their way down 91 floors. At first they would encounter very few people as they would later discover theirs was the highest floor from which anyone would survive.

He told of giving encouragement to firefighters the passed in the stairways, young and old, carrying many, many pounds of equipment to the area he and others were fleeing.

Sleigh, a member of Parkside Church, intertwined stories of the 2001 attack with stories of his faith and used selections of the Bible as analogies to that day.

"Looking back (at the firefighters climbing to rescue others) it reminds me of a verse in scripture in Romans 5: 7-8 that says 'Most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, for someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good' that's the quality I put these firefighters in. They were willing to put their lives on the line to rescue people,” said Sleigh adding, "But verse 8 says 'But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners'."

Sleigh called the rescue on 9/11 a great rescue but said the greatest rescue ever was when God sent his Son to die on the Cross to rescue us.

As he detailed getting out of the Tower, he described being knocked down by horizontal debris that he would later learn was the South Tower collapsing.

Injured, he was able to find two other people alive in the rubble and the three would walk away to safety and did not look back.

A picture of Sleigh and the two other men would be snapped by a free lance photographer and was published in many papers including London.

Sleigh said his son, knowing his father was safe, would open a paper in London to see a picture of his father and the two other men dusty and dirty and injured. A closer look at picture showed his father had managed to carry his briefcase with him through the entire ordeal.

Alison Bate, the co-author with John McLaughlin of "Cheating death," is also credited with Escape from the 91st Floor (9/11), originally published as an October 2001 cover story in Marine Digest, then reprinted last September in Cargo Business News---which is the same rag after a name change. A transcript was posted at her personal web page, which I've copied here without permission.

As a very well-traveled Canadian, Ms. Bate seems like an interesting choice to plumb the depths of a descent from the 91st floor.

March 9, 2011, Real Estate Weekly, W&H Properties sees record leasing at 1 GCP.(LEASES

One Grand Central Place, a W&H property at 60 East 42nd Street, has enjoyed a second consecutive year of record leasing, announced Fred C. Posniak, senior vice president of W&H.

The leasing total in 2010 amounted to an unprecedented 260,200 s/f. In 2009, the previous record was set with 255,430 square feet.

"We're especially proud of this activity since it took place during challenging economic times," said Posniak. "During this period, Midtown tenants were cautious about their leasing decisions, but they clearly recognized the outstanding quality and service available at One Grand Central Place."

The properly was renamed One Grand Central Place in June 2009, and it has become a sought-after address for prestigious tenants, including: American Bureau of Shipping, Fairfield Maxwell, Gibbs & Soell, Pine Brook

Road Partners, Ales Group USA, Tourist Office of Spain, and Pipeline Financial Group, to name a few.

"The repositioning symbolized what the brokerage and tenant communities had discovered--that this was not the same property they'd visited five or so years before," explained Posniak.

"Through the new name, W&H raised awareness of the property's recent transformation into a top-tier destination with state-of-the-art amenities."

Rising 55 stories directly opposite Grand Central Terminal, One Grand Central Place provides a while-glove corporate environment with direct in-building access to Grand Central Terminal, onsite services and amenities, including a visitor center, messenger center, multi-media conference center and law library.

The property has undergone $85 million of upgrades throughout the building.

Beyond Politics & 9/11
The ABS occupied 8400 sf on 91. [Forbes, 9/14]

September 11th Dinner, Speaker--- George Sleigh, 9/11 Survivor
George Sleigh, on the right
he and Stanley Praimnath believe in the same god;

September 11, 2011, Falls News Press, World Trade Center survivor still counts his blessings daily, by Dorothy Markulis,

Hudson--It's been 10 years since terrorists brought down the World Trade Center, and George Sleigh, a survivor of the attack, thanks God every day for sparing him.

Sleigh, 73, who moved to Hudson in 2003, was working for American Bureau of Shipping on the 91st floor of the Trade Center's North Tower, when a passenger jet, piloted by terrorists hijackers crashed into the building on Sept. 11, 2001.

"I was on the phone in my office on the north face of the building when I heard this loud roar. I spun my chair around and saw this large passenger jet heading right at me, 25 feet above my head," Sleigh said.

The impact of the jet into the building above caused Sleigh's office ceiling to crash down on top of him.

"I dropped the phone, covered my head and prayed to God to save me," he said.

Within 10 minutes, Sleigh and his 11 officemates were on the stairs, heading to the ground floor.

"There was no panic," Sleigh recalled. "No one ever thought that building would go down."

When he reached the ground floor there was an explosion which tossed Sleigh through the air. He said he believes that was the concussion created when the South Tower collapsed. He suffered cuts and abrasions from flying glass. His ankle was cut to the bone, and he was taken to a nearby hospital by ambulance.

All the while, he was thanking God he had been spared.

Sleigh said this was his second escape from death at the Twin Towers. He was working in the South Tower in the top floor in 1993 when a terrorist bomb exploded in the garage area.

"That day our floor filled with smoke and we went up on the roof," Sleigh said.

Sleigh said the events of September 11 did not outwardly dramatically affect his life. The company he worked for was up and running less than a week later at a New Jersey office.

"Inwardly, I'm so thankful my life was spared, that God saved me. There is also this feeling of grief that so many other people lost their lives," Sleigh said.

Sleigh said he is aware that some on the Internet have expressed skepticism about his escape and other events surrounding that fateful day, but he said he does not respond to it.

"I just ignore it. It's just nonsense," said Sleigh, who was born in England.

He said many of the doubts hinge on a statement a newspaper in England claimed he made, which he says was not true.

"The paper was a little liberal in its interpretation of what I went through. The paper claimed I saw the eyes of the hijackers as the plane approached," he said.

Sleigh said he would have been dead if that had been the case. He has refused to talk to that newspaper again.

He said he has returned to the Twin Towers' site, but had no plans to attend the 10th anniversary commemoration services. He said he and his wife, Elaine, would make a private visit to the site this year.

"I am so thankful. I have no idea why I was spared that day," he said.

"That's why I'm sharing my story. We need to be reminded of the brevity of life. We have to know that each day is a blessing," he said.


Phone: 330-686-3943

September 5, 2011, The Mirror, 9/11 Ten years on: I was the luckiest Brit in the Twin one on the floors above me lived,

BLOODY but unbowed, George Sleigh stumbles through a choking cloud of dust clutching his trusty briefcase.

George Sleigh on September 11 2001 (pic: Splash)
BLOODY but unbowed, George Sleigh stumbles through a choking cloud of dust clutching his trusty briefcase.

The British architect had ­miraculously crawled out of his office after watching helplessly as ­American Airlines Flight 11 was flown into the North Tower 25ft above him.

George took 50 minutes to clamber down the stairs from his 91st-floor office – and he shudders when he ­remembers that no one any higher survived the attack.
George Sleigh (pic: Splash)

Ten years on and now retired, the 73-year-old grandad counts his ­blessings every day.

He says: “I thought I was going to die.”

George reveals that he still has the canvas ­briefcase that went with him on his amazing journey to safety – and says it ­probably saved his life.

“When we washed it we discovered several slashes on it,” he says.

“There had been flying glass which hit the case instead of me.”

George vividly remembers even the smallest details of that fateful day.

He left his home in New Jersey and headed to the World Trade Center, where he worked for the American Bureau of Shipping.

The office was unusually quiet because most of the staff had relocated to Houston, Texas, leaving just 25 in New York. But the peace was about to be shattered in unimaginable horror.

George recalls: “The first thing I remember was the noise – the roar of the plane. I spun around in my chair and the plane was outside about 25ft above me.

“The only thought going through my head was ‘my, this guy is low’. He was above me to the right. It was banking slightly before it entered the building on the very side I was sitting on.


“I saw the lower part of the plane. I just covered my head and prayed.

“My office collapsed around me. But there was no fire, no smoke and all the windows on our floor were intact.

“The plane hit maybe three or four floors above me. I felt the impact on the building and with all this stuff pouring down on me I had to crawl out of the office.

“Even though there were no windows broken beside me the suspended ceiling came tumbling down.

“I crawled to the stairwells. Two were blocked but one was OK – it was slightly blocked but we managed to get around a little debris.

“I was 63 at the time but I was quite fit and walked down OK.

“I made my way out of the building when I heard a loud explosion, which I later found out was the South Tower collapsing. As I stepped outside the stairwell, the devastation was incredible – it looked like a war zone. I took off running when suddenly I was engulfed in a dust cloud.

“I thought I was going to die. The blast just caught up with me.

“There were three of us and we were definitely among the last out.

“A police officer saw me and noticed I had blood coming from my right leg and he got me to an ambulance.

“I am so lucky to be alive. I am just so glad I am still here.”

His son, Stephen, recalls: “In London I wept on the morning when I opened the papers and saw a picture of Dad and two other men.

“They looked like soldiers emerging from the battlefield caked with blood, dust, soot and water from the fire hoses.”

Two months after the attacks, George had an emotional family reunion in his hometown of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear.

George – who also escaped death when he was in the World Trade Center’s South Tower on the 106th floor during the first bombing in 1993 – has coped amazingly with the horror of the 9/11 tragedy.

He says: “I’ve had no nightmares or flashbacks. But I think about the attacks every day.”

George, who retired to Ohio eight years ago, now recounts his experiences at schools to ensure new ­generations are fully aware of the atrocity.

He regularly sees his 11 grandchildren and every time he hugs them he recalls how lucky he is to be alive.

P2P: Peer to Peer
Edited by Stella Duncan Bradley
Review and Herald Publishing Association, Hagerstown, MD
page 263,

91st Floor
George Sleigh, a British-born naval architect, was on the phone in his 91st floor office when he heard the roar of jet engines. Looking out his window, he had time to think just three things: The wheels are up, the underbelly is white, and "man, that guy is low." An American Airlines Boeing 767 was hurtling toward him at 500 mph, loaded with 92 people and 15,000 gallons of jet fuel. The jet exploded into the 93rd through 98th floors of the World Trade Center's north tower with a force equal to 480,000 pounds of TNT. It was 8:46 a.m. on Sept. 11.

The walls, the ceiling and bookshelves crumbled. Sleigh, 63, manager of technical consistency at the American Bureau of Shipping, crawled from the rubble. He looked up at exposed steel beams and the concrete underside of the 92nd floor. He didn't know it at the time, but that concrete floor was the bottom of a tomb for more than 1,300 people. Nobody survived on the floors above him. But on his floor and below, an amazing story unfolded: Nearly everyone lived.

The line between life and death that morning was as straight as a steel beam. Everyone on the 92nd floor died. Everyone on the 91st floor lived.

Resumes    Job Titles    Employers    Legends

Gregory Shark,
Class of 1976
Current Position:
    American Bureau of Shipping,
    Manager, Regulatory Affairs
    Greg Shark is employed as Manager of Regulatory Affairs at the Corporate Offices of the American Bureau of Shipping in New York. This position supports and assists Corporate Management in developing ABS technical and policy positions relative to ABS operations and ABS' obligations as a Member of the International Association of Classification Societies, IACS. Additionally, it involves providing technical advice to ABS personnel and to numerous maritime administrations relative to the application of international regulation.
    Greg held several engineering positions within ABS' engineering departments upon joining ABS after graduating from SUNY Maritime College. This included Project Manager for offshore construction and research and development projects.
Previous Experience:
  • Principal Engineer - Regulatory Affairs 1991 - 1994
    Support and provide liaison with Corporate Technical Consistency Department concerning implementation of ABS Quality System. Oversee and coordinate ABS activities at IMO, IACS and various international standard setting bodies.
  • Project Manager / Engineer - Offshore Engineering Division 1987 - 1991
    Technical responsibilities as head of Offshore Engineering Drilling Unit Department involved:
    • Managing a staff of engineers and their analytical evaluation of stability and safety provisions particular to offshore drilling units
    • Ensuring ABS's published Rules adequately consider technological advances
    • Developing and presenting technical proposals and cost estimates for engineering evaluations and analyses
    • Developing annual departmental budgets
    • Coordinating manpower schedules to effectively meet client needs
    • Providing direct client contact to facilitate streamlining of design review
    • Presenting technical proposals and research findings to various organizations of the offshore industry
  • Senior Engineer - Offshore Engineering Division 1981 - 1987
    Responsible for technical supervision of engineering staff performing stability analyses and design review on all types of vessels and marine structures. This included analytical evaluations of passenger ship and product carrier subdivision, grain loading conditions, drilling unit survival capabilities, etc. Member of several technical committees which develope national safety standards for drilling units.
  • Engineer - Hull Statutes Division 1976 - 1981
    Performed stability analyses, freeboard and tonnage calculations to determine compliance under applicable international standards.
  • Chaired various technical panels and discussion groups within the maritime industry
  • Prepared and presented technical proposals and analysis reports
  • Authored numerous research papers published in technical journals
  • Marketed American Bureau of Shipping at technical conferences and exhibitions
  • Developed departmental quality assurance procedures and manuals
  • Represented American Bureau of Shipping, from an engineering standpoint, during litigation processes
Major Achievments:
  • Chairman of the International Association of Classification Society's Ad Hoc Group on Offshore Drilling Unit Stability. Successfully demonstrated to the international offshore industry, the need to evaluate safety of drilling units considering dynamic motion responses.
  • Member (Advisor) to U.S. Delegation at the International Maritime Organization, IMO. Evaluated research conducted worldwide and principally authored new internationally accepted criteria for drilling units.
  • Technical advisor to various Administrations concerning safety and pollution issues under development at IMO's Maritime Safety Committee, Marine Environment Pollution Committee and their Technical Sub-Committees.
  • Recognized lecturer on design and safety aspects relative to offshore drilling units and floating production/storage systems. Experience includes lectures provided to the Indonesian Government Inspectorate, National Oil Company of Qatar, University of Texas Graduate Program and ABS Academy.
  • SUNY Maritime College (BE, Naval Architecture)
  • Stevens Institute of Technology
Professional Affiliations:
  • Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers - Full Member
  • Society of Marine Port Engineers - Full Member
  • USCG 3rd Assistant Engineers License (steam/diesel)
    Greg attended Wayne Hills High School in New Jersey and currently lives in Little Falls. While attending SUNY Maritime, Greg was on the varsity basketball team. He enjoys golf, basketball and off-road biking.

In order to promote an efficient marine transportation system and encourage the harmonization of marine practices, Transport Canada has entered into formal agreements with certain Classification Societies, under the authority of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. These agreements cover the delegation of statutory inspection and certification functions.

Recognized Organizations
When a Classification Society enters into this agreement with Transport Canada, they are known under regulation as a Recognized Organization. There are currently five Recognized Organizations for the purposes of vessel inspection in Canada:

Click on a recognized organization listed below to access contact information.

Mr. Gregory Shark,
Manager, Regulatory
American Bureau of Shipping
45 Eisenhower Drive,
Paramus, NJ,
07652, USA
Tel: (201) 909-5153
Fax: (201) 909-5157
*New or revised extent of delegation of authority
Mr. Joseph A. Riva,
Assistant Chief Surveyor
ABS Americas
ABS Plaza
16855 Northchase Drive
Houston, TX 77060 USA
Tel: (281) 877-5886
Fax: (281) 877-5943
*Instructions regarding statutory certification
Mr. Edward Beche,
Assistant Manager,
Classification and
American Bureau of Shipping
ABS Plaza
16855 Northchase Drive
Houston, TX 77060-6008 USA
Tel: (281) 877-6579
Fax: (281) 877-6011

Distribution of
 TCMS certificates and forms

Mr. Olav MogensenBureau Veritas (Canada) Inc.
410 Saint-Nicolas Street
Suite 014
Montreal, QC
H2Y 2P5
Tel: (514) 288-6515
Fax: (514) 288-7202
M. Claude Maillot,
Statutory Procedures
Bureau Veritas Marine Division
17 Bis, Place des Reflets
92400 Courbevoie
Tel: 011 33 142 915284
Fax: 011 33 142 915293

Mr. Khodabakhsh
(Bakhshi) Farsi,
Station Manager,
Det Norske Veritas
99 Wyse Road, suite 900
Dartmouth, NS
B2W 6H8
Tel: (902) 464-0905
Fax: (902) 464-0516
M. Jean-François Bigras,
Station Manager,
1100 Cremazie Blvd East
Suite 415
Montreal, QC
H2P 2X2
Tel: (514) 861-0660
Fax: (514) 861-7557

Mr. Carol Brown,
Area Manager for
Germanischer Lloyd
Deputy Country Manager
300 St Sacrement, Suite 530
Montreal, QC
H2Y 1X4
Tel: (514) 287-7102
Fax: (514) 287-7525

Mr. Bud Streeter,
Operations Manager
Lloyd's Register North America, Inc.
Suite 812, Queen Square,
45 Alderney Drive,
Dartmouth, NS
B2Y 2N6
Tel: (902) 423-7506
Fax: (902) 425-2913
Classification Societies already perform these functions on vessels around the world and have extensive expertise in the construction and operation of modern ships. This Program therefore reduces duplication of effort. Delegating inspection and certification functions to the Recognized Organizations allows Transport Canada to monitor the performance of both vessel operators and the Recognized Organizations through planned and unplanned visits to vessels. The result of the delegation program is that vessels will be subject to increased safety oversight.
DSIP Implementation
Transport Canada has developed a series of documents to govern the implementation and operation of the Delegated Statutory Inspection Program. The Delegated Statutory Inspection Program Policy outlines high-level requirements of the delegation program. Two Procedures explain the process for enrolling vessels in the Delegated Statutory Inspection Program and for monitoring vessels once they are enrolled.
While every effort is made to resolve outstanding issues with vessel operators, violations of Transport Canada Regulations on vessels enrolled in the Delegated Statutory Inspection Program remain subject to the Administrative Monetary Penalties Regulations or other enforcement action.
For more information on the Delegated Statutory Inspection Program you may contact your nearest Transport Canada Centre (TCC) or the national Delegation Program Officer [dsip-pdio@tc.gc.caor (613) 949-0821].

Date modified: 2012-05-02